New Balance FuelCell 890 v8 Review Analysis (2022)
Last update: November 2023
The New Balance FuelCell 890 v8 is a good shoe with firm cushioning for speed training.
- Comfortable foot support
- Lightweight shoe
- Nice design
- A wide and stable shoe without rigidity
- Firm cushioning that will appeal to runners looking for this type of configuration
- Cushioning that lacks responsiveness bounce according to several runners
- Doubts about the durability of rubber under the forefoot
- Higher weight compared to the previous model
- First of all, Ground Contact REVlite technology equips the outsole of the New Balance FuelCell 890 v8. This translates into a lightweight and robust rubber that promotes total ground contact for better traction and a greater range of motion. In addition, the runner can confidently run on the road even in the rain thanks to the shoe’s effective grip.
- Moreover, Rubber Pods are also included as part of the outsole of this road model. This technology consists of rubber modules with one located under the heel and the other under the forefoot. This strategic positioning aims to improve durability by increasing the shoe’s resistance.
- The midsole uses the FuelCell cushioning technology. This is a lightweight and flexible foam that is designed to provide 39% more rebound than REVlite, another leading cushioning technology by New Balance. Its goal is to provide maximum shock absorption during the run for more comfort. In addition, this configuration tries to offer maximum responsiveness to make the ride more springy.
- The upper of the New Balance FuelCell 890 v8 features an engineered mesh. The purpose of this mesh is to hold comfortably the foot during the run. In addition, its structure naturally lets the foot breathe to it from overheating during your training.
- Furthermore, the gusseted tongue improves foot support by distributing the pressure of the tongue evenly over the top of your foot. Also, notably, the tongue does not deviate during the run thanks to this design.
- Finally, this running shoe uses the last PL-6, a special design that’s supposed to fit all foot shapes.
|Heel stack height||25 mm|
|Forefoot stack height||19 mm|
|Features||Gusseted tongue, Lightweight|
|Weight (men)||238 g/8.4 oz|
|Weight (women)||204 g/7.2 oz|
|Outsole||Ground Contact REVlite, rubber pods|
|Upper||Engineered mesh, gusseted tongue, PL-6|
Reference: New Balance
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This road shoe follows a regular sizing chart. Thus, it must correspond to the announced size. Runners who tried the shoe confirm that it’s true to size so you can choose your usual size for sports shoes. However, if this is your first New Balance model, a visit to a store is advisable to choose the most comfortable size possible.
This shoe features a neutral support configuration. Thus, it is designed to adapt to all users regardless of their pronation. It doesn’t feature any particular correction to stabilize the foot and avoid supination or excessive pronation. It should be noted here that in all cases shoes for overpronation are no more effective than neutral shoes to reduce the risk of injury. Therefore, we recommend selecting your running shoes according to their comfort, the most important criterion. So you can choose this model independently from your pronation, as long as it is comfortable.
Only one study so far has looked at the relationship between weight, risk of injury, and sole thickness. According to the results of this study, minimalist footwear may increase the risk of injury for runners who weigh more than 71 kg/155 lbs. Other than that, there are no recommendations for other types of running shoes. The FuelCell 890 v8 offers a moderately thick sole and should therefore be suitable for your weight regardless of what it is.
This New Balance road shoe shines especially for speed workouts but it can be suitable for long distances as well depending on your preferences. Therefore, as far as the marathon is concerned, there are no special rules. If you find this shoe comfortable on your long outings then it should be a good pick for your race.