New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6 Review Analysis (2022)
Last update: August 2022
The New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6 is a sleek trail running shoe built for comfort.
Let’s discuss the thick, Fresh Foam X midsole for a second—because it’s built for comfort. With an even blend of cushion and responsiveness, the midsole is designed to absorb the shock of off-road debris and gravel. Impressively, the Hierro 6 is protective without using a rock plate, ensuring a comfortable and safe ride. Meanwhile, the shoe’s upper is much improved from previous versions and is made with sustainable materials as a bonus. It cradles the top of the foot with a snugness that locks feet in place. The fit is true to size. Lastly, the durable outsole uses Vibram MegaGrip material, which proves effectively grippy yet versatile on various surfaces. While it may not be the best option for soft terrains, it will do well in most situations.
Users of the Hierro v6 were overall happy with the way it performed. The only major complaint was weight, a prerequisite to most trail shoes. The v6 is no exception and weighs 337 g/11.9 oz, which is a lot, though this model shed 20 grams/0.7 oz from its predecessor. Also, while the shoe can technically double for road and trail use, its performance is subpar on flat pavement. It’s likely due to larger lugs, making the shoe optimal for more technical terrain.
Overall, New Balance’s latest Hierro model is a comfortable option that performs well in most conditions. Version 6 can go the distance smoothly and—the cherry on top—can retire as a sleek sneaker once its trail career is over.
- Comfortable shoe
- Improved upper that provides better lockdown
- Snappy ride
- Stylish design
- Still a bit heavy despite shedding some weight
- Vibram MegaGrip: a rugged and naturally sticky rubber that provides safe traction on technical trail terrains.
- The lugs optimize grip on trails to effortlessly handle the most perilous conditions. Those rubber parts are multidirectional with an aggressive design.
- The Fresh Foam X midsole reduces impacts and maximizes the energy return for fluid heel to toe transitions.
- The laser engravings on the side of the midsole aim to make the platform more flexible without weakening the structure.
- The upper of the New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6 is a synthetic mesh with TPU zones that comfortably keeps the foot secure inside the shoe while providing a good breeze when the running gets tough.
- The bootie design promotes targeted and adaptive foot support. It also reduces irritation and chaffing and makes it easy to take off and put on the shoes.
- Toe Protect acts as a shield for the forefoot against potentially harmful bumps on the trails.
|Heel stack height||28 mm|
|Forefoot stack height||20 mm|
|Features||Recycled materials, Toe cap|
|Weight (men)||337 g/11.9 oz|
|Weight (women)||280 g/9.9 oz|
|Softness (1-5)||4 – Soft|
|Bounce (1-5)||3 – Moderate|
|Outsole||Vibram MegaGrip, lugs|
|Midsole||Fresh Foam X, laser engravings|
|Upper||Synthetic mesh with TPU zones, bootie design, Toe Protect|
Reference: New Balance’s official website
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, athletes who ran with the shoe confirmed that it fits as expected. Therefore, you can order your standard size for running shoes. Nonetheless, if this is your very first pair of New Balance shoes, it’s better to try them on in a shop to make sure you find the most comfortable size for you.
Yes, this shoe is fine, even if you’re a heavyweight runner. Indeed, The New Balance Fresh Foam Hierro v6 has a stack height of 28 mm under the heel, which is enough to support most athletes, so you can use it regardless of how much you weigh.
With its comfortable cushioning, adequate grip, and precise foot lockdown, the Hierro v6 is a good candidate for long-distance trail running. As for the ultramarathon, it’s a matter of personal preference. If you’re considering this model for your race, the best solution is to add it to your training shoe rotation. If you experience no issues after a few long runs on various terrains, then you’ve got your shoe!