Topo Athletic MTN Racer
The Topo Athletic MTN Racer is good high-stack trail running shoe with a comfortable fit and effective grip.
- Ample and secure foothold
- Outstanding grip
- Not that heavy despite its bulky look
- Sturdy model
- Upper is not breathable enough
- Dull cushioning, not really fun
- The sole does not offer sufficient protection against rocks despite its thickness
Model: Topo Athletic MTN Racer
- First, the outsole of the Topo Athletic MTN Racer uses the Vibram Megagrip technology. It consists of a resistant rubber that offers impeccable traction on trail routes. Thus, the athlete can confidently tackle the toughest trails thanks to the platform’s impressive grip.
- Besides Vibram Megagrip, the outsole of this trail shoe also features aggressive multi-directional rubber lugs to improve traction on the most demanding terrains.
- The midsole features EVA foam. Ethylene-vinyl acetate is a material reputed for its lightness and comfortable cushioning that is used in many sports shoes. It’s designed to protect the foot from stones and other sharp obstacles. Also, this technology aims to energize the ride by maximizing the energy return while running.
- Moreover, the Ortholite removable insole supports comfortably the underfoot by adapting and complements the foam of the midsole. Also, it wicks away moisture which favors better breathability inside the shoe.
- The upper of the Topo Athletic MTN Racer features an engineered mesh with a double layer of abrasion resistant fabric. Its purpose is to support the foot effectively during training for ideal comfort. Also, ventilation holes are scattered throughout the mesh to ensure good airflow and prevent the foot from becoming too hot while running.
- Then, printed overlays improve foot lockdown besides making the shoe more sturdy.
- Drainage ports help get rid of the water to keep your feet dry longer on trails.
- The gusseted tongue prevents dirt and pebbles from getting inside the shoe. Also, unlike traditional tongues, gusseted tongues don’t move laterally, which is one less thing to worry about while running.
- The anatomical toe box allows you to splay your toes more easily for added comfort. Athletes with wider feet will be particularly pleased with this configuration.
- Finally, the gaiter attachments make it easier to adjust gaiters for enhanced protection from debris and water on trails. Let’s note, however, that gaiters are usually sold separately.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How does the Topo Athletic MTN Racer fit?
These trail running shoes use a standard sizing system. Testers confirm that they are neither too big nor too small. So you can order your regular size for running shoes. That said, if this is your first Topo Athletic model, a visit to the store may be wise to be 100% sure.
Is this model suitable for heavy athletes (80 kg/176 lbs or more)?
Only one study at the moment has looked at the relationship between weight, risk of injury, and the stack height of the shoe. According to the conclusions of this study, minimalist footwear may increase the risk of injury for athletes weighing more than 71 kg/157 lbs. The MTN Racer has a 30 mm stack height under the heel and, therefore, is not a minimalist shoe. Thus, it should be suitable for runners of all shapes and sizes.
Can you run an ultramarathon with these shoes?
This Topo Athletic model features a very effective grip and high-stack cushioning, which makes it suitable for all types of trail terrains and distances. As far as ultramarathon is concerned, it mainly depends on your preferences. If you find this shoe comfortable while running long distances on a variety of terrains, then it should be a good option for your race.
Is this shoe waterproof?
This shoe does not have a Gore-Tex insulation layer. However, without being completely waterproof, the shoe effectively drains small amounts of water, such as light rain and splashes, and dries quickly. This configuration has the advantage of letting the foot breathe and to be more flexible and lighter compared to models with an insulation membrane.