Salomon XA Pro 3D v8
The Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 is a good, stable, and sturdy trail running shoe.
Best deal at: roadrunnersports.comClick here for lowest price
Salomon XA Pro 3D v8
Good, sturdy, and stable trail shoe with effective grip and good comfort despite its heavy weightWith so many great models in its trail range (like the S/Lab Sense, to name just one), it's normal to wonder why the XA Pro 3D is one of the most popular Salomon shoes. Here it is in its eighth version, and the craze is still going strong. Let's see in detail why and if it can suit you.
Its massive size says it all: the XA Pro 3D is a workhorse. It's a beast of a shoe with a broad and stable platform. In fact, it's one of the few trail running shoes with a support feature explicitly designed for overpronation. However, there's a downside: at 340 g/12 oz for men and 300 g/10.6 oz for women, it's closer to a hiking shoe than a trail running model. It's one of the recurring points made by testers, with some of them even preferring the XA Pro 3D for walking. Besides its bulkiness, the platform is relatively rigid, according to the trailers who tested it. This type of configuration has the advantage of offering more stability but can considerably reduce comfort.
The traction is outstanding with the Contagrip rubber and its moderately deep lugs that give a good grip on the different terrains—even ice. The foot lockdown is precise and allows to control downhill runs perfectly. Let's also note that trailers who have tested the Gore-Tex version appreciated its effectiveness. Finally, Quicklace continues to work miracles and simplifies laces adjustment, which can be a tricky process with regular laces.
In short, the Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 is faithful to the series with its advantages and disadvantages. It's a sturdy shoe capable of withstanding the most challenging conditions. However, its bulky and rigid build will deter trail runners looking for speed or lightness.
- Good general comfort
- Effective grip in all circumstances
- Stable shoe, ideal for overpronators
- A resilient model capable of handling the mileage on the toughest trails
- Efficient Quicklace system for adjusting the laces
- Heavy shoe
- Rigid platform
Model: Salomon XA Pro 3D v8
3 new from $129.95
as of June 22, 2021 6:46 am
- The outsole of the Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 uses Contagrip MA : a blown rubber that’s lightweight and soft yet resistant. It comes with medium-depth lugs for a safe grip on trail terrains.
- 3D Chassis absorbs impacts under the heel upon landing. It also helps with stability.
- The midsole relies on EnergyCell, the flagship foam from Salomon that provides a more comfortable and springier run on trails.
- Also, the Ortholite removable insole optimizes step-in comfort.
- The Salomon XA Pro 3D v8’s upper is an open 3D mesh that ensures a comfortable and secure foot lockdown while allowing a good breeze, especially in hotter seasons.
- SensiFit is a foothold technology that enhances the lockdown. It’s also connected to the lacing system to be more effective.
- The Quicklace allows you to tighten or loosen the laces with just one easy movement. The laces are thin but sturdy and athletes praise their ease of use.
- Finally, the toe cap acts as a shield for the toes to protect from potentially painful shocks on trails.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is the Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 true to size?
Yes, this shoe fits normally. Indeed, for now, we haven’t seen comments from athletes suggesting that the fit is irregular. Therefore, you can order your standard size for running shoes. Nonetheless, if this your very first pair of Salomon shoes, it could be a good idea to try them on in a shop to find the best size for your feet.
Is this shoe recommended for athletes who are heavy (more than 187 lbs/85 kg)?
Yes, these shoes should generally be a good fit regardless of your weight. Indeed, the Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 has comfortable padding with a good stack height.
Is the Salomon XA Pro 3D v8 suitable to run an ultramarathon?
This Salomon shoe is very suitable for different types of training and distances. It’s a real workhorse capable of tackling almost anything. It may not be the ideal candidate to go fast, but it will at least be able to go the distance.
Is this shoe waterproof?
This shoe is available in two versions: Gore-Tex and regular. The regular version repels small water infiltrations and dries quickly thanks to its treatment. The Gore-Tex version offers more protection to keep feet dry even in heavy rain. However, it’s more expensive and heavier. It’s up to you to decide depending on your plans.
1 review for Salomon XA Pro 3D v8
4.0 out of 5
Write a review