Salomon Sonic 3 Balance
The Salomon Sonic 3 Balance is a versatile road running shoe with moderate cushioning well suited for mid to long distances.
- Good overall comfort
- Effective and responsive cushioning, ideal for mid to long distances
- Great foot lockdown
- Effective traction
- Some users found the tongue a bit uncomfortable
- A bit heavy and rigid for faster paces
Model: Salomon Sonic 3 Balance
- First of all, the outsole of the Salomon Sonic 3 Balance uses Contagrip. This consists of blown rubber, a type of light and soft material that improves the flexibility of the shoe to allow it to follow the movements of the foot during the run. This is important as the foot pushes the ground to propel the body forward. In addition, you can run smoothly on asphalt even when it rains thanks to the platform’s amazing grip.
- Next, Geometric Decoupling also equips the outsole of this road shoe. It translates into a symmetrical design that should facilitate the transition from heel to toe. The expected result is a smoother ride.
- The midsole features the Optivibe cushioning technology. This is a type of padding material made with olefin from the Dow Infuse brand. This technology is known for its softness and natural bounce, making it perfect for running shoes. It ensures maximum shock dispersion during running for optimal comfort. This technology also ensures optimal energy return for a more springy ride.
- Besides, the JPAD unit made of rubberized EVA foam at the heel is designed to better attenuate impacts and reduce vibrations during the run. In addition, it’s memory foam, meaning it adapts to the shape of the foot and stays in place for the next run.
- Lastly, the comfortable OrthoLite insole padded the interior of the shoe and molds to the foot to complete the cushioning of the shoe. It also helps to avoid moisture.
- The upper of the Salomon Sonic 3 Balance uses an engineered mesh. This configuration is designed to hold the foot securely during training for ideal comfort. In addition, perforations in the mesh allow your foot to breathe while exercising, especially when the pace increases.
- In addition, Internal SensiFit contributes to better foot lockdown. It consists of printed overlays and fabric eyelets connected to the laces. This configuration is rather discreet so that you don’t notice it while running.
- Finally, the OrthoLite Impressions technology is a thin foam tongue that follows the contour of the instep. It uses 50% bio-oil to reduce its ecological footprint.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is the Salomon Sonic 3 Balance true to size?
This road shoe is based on a normal sizing system and runners confirm it runs true to size. Therefore, you can choose your regular size for running shoes. That said, if you have the opportunity, it is recommended that you try on the shoes in the shop to make sure it fits perfectly.
Is this model suitable for runners with overpronation?
Despite its name, which might suggest that it’s a stability model, this shoe is for neutral pronation. Thus, it is designed to be adapted to all athletes regardless of their pronation. It doesn’t feature any special correction to better stabilize the foot and avoid overpronation. In any case, please note that stability shoes for overpronation are no more effective than neutral shoes to avoid injury. We, therefore, recommend that you select your running shoes according to their comfort, which is the most important criterion. So you can choose this model independently from your pronation, as long as it is comfortable.
Is this road model suitable for heavy athletes (80 kg/176 lbs or more)?
As far as we know, only one scientific study so far has observed the link between weight, risk of injury, and sole thickness. According to the conclusions of this study, minimalist footwear can increase the risk of injury for athletes weighing more than 71 kg/157 oz. Apart from this, there are no recommendations for other categories of running shoes. The Sonic 3 Balance has a moderately thick sole (28 mm under the heel) and should, therefore, be adapted to your body regardless of your weight.
Can you run a marathon in these shoes?
This Salomon road shoe is perfectly adapted to different types of distances and training. You can use it for your daily training sessions, whether you work on distance or speed. As for the marathon, it depends above all on your preferences. If you find this shoe comfortable for your long outings, then it should be a good choice for your race.