Salomon S-Lab Ultra 3
The Salomon S/Lab Ultra 3 is a very good trail running with effective grip to run long distances comfortably.
- Great comfort
- Excellent grip
- Protective and responsive cushioning
- Upper more comfortable than on the previous versions
- Sturdy shoe
- High price
- The upper could be a little airier
Model: Salomon S-Lab Ultra 3
Best offersback to menu ↑
- First, Contagrip MA equips the outsole of the Salomon S-Lab Ultra 3, which is a blown rubber. This light and flexible material allows the shoe to follow the movement of the foot for more dynamism. It’s especially important during the toe-off phase when the foot pushes the ground to propel the body. You can go with complete peace of mind on technical trail routes thanks to the amazing grip of the outsole.
- The midsole features the EnergyCell+ cushioning technology. This lightweight and responsive foam is composed of compression-molded ethylene vinyl acetate. It protects the foot from the stones and roots on natural terrains. Also, this configuration offers a snappy ride by maximizing the energy return.
- Then, there’s Energy Save, which was created by Salomon to specifically increase responsiveness during toe-off. It also aims to increase foot protection.
- ProFeel Film is a sturdy foam layer that acts as rock guard to provide protection against sharp obstacles while supporting the foot and enabling smooth transitions from heel to toes. The goal is to combine protection and natural feel during trail running. ProFeel is located between the midsole and the outsole.
- Finally, the molded EVA foam insole adapts to the anatomy of the foot and completes the cushioning of the midsole.
- The Salomon S-Lab Ultra 3 upper uses the SkinGuard technology, an abrasion-resistant TPU mesh. It keeps the foot secure and cool throughout the run.
- Besides, Seamless Sensifit is a seamless overlay technology that improves foot lockdown and makes the upper more durable for greater resitance to abrasion. It’s connected to the lacing system for greater comfort.
- Then, Endofit is a soft inner bootie that improves comfort inside the shoe. It perfectly wraps up around the foot, especially at the instep.
- Also, the tongue cover prevents debris such as dirt and stones from entering the shoe.
- Asymmetrical Quicklace is a lacing system that takes the form of thin but durable elastic threads. These threads pass through the fabric eyelets on the upper and connects to a locking system that maintains the fit chosen by the runner. It eliminates the need for a loop. The pressure of the laces can be adjusted with a single movement.
- Finally, the lace pocket allows you to tuck the laces to prevent them from disturbing you while running.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Does the Salomon S-Lab Ultra 3 fit true to size?
Is this trail model suitable for heavy athletes (85 kg/187 lbs or more)?
Is it possible to run an ultramarathon with these shoes?
Is this model waterproof?
Comparisons – Salomon S/Lab Ultra 3 vs:
Salomon S/Lab Sense Ultra
Although both models have “ultra” in their name, the Sense Ultra has a lighter profile with less cushioning. It depends primarily on preference, but the S/Lab Ultra 3 seems more suitable for long distances than the Sense Ultra, which, on the other hand, is great for shorter runs with its responsive and light design. In any case, Salomon has discontinued the Sense Ultra series, so it’s not an option anymore.
Salomon Sense Pro 4
The Sense Pro 4 is a lighter shoe with a more responsive and versatile platform that shines on terrains that require agility. Also, it features more aggressive lugs, which makes its grip a little better on muddy and steep surfaces. However, the S/Lab Ultra 3’s cushioning is more comfortable, according to the trailers who tested both models. It’s best to try both because, after all, it’s a matter of preferences and personal experience. Both shoes are very good and durable.
Hoka Torrent 2
These two shoes have quite different profiles. Thus, the T2 is a high-stack shoe with a softer but less protective cushioning as it does not have a rock guard. Its grip is also a bit more effective. However, the S/Lab Ultra 3 has a more comfortable upper with an effective and pleasant foot lockdown. Slight advantage for the Torrent 2 overall. See the side-by-side comparison.
Salomon Sense Ride 3
The Sense Ride 3 offers slightly more comfortable but less protective cushioning with less responsiveness, according to the testers. It makes the shoe a little bit dull when running faster. Also, it’s heavier, with 300 g compared to 283 g for the S/Lab Ultra 3. However, if the latter seems superior overall, it’s much more expensive (count $50 more).