Salomon S/Lab Phantasm
The Salomon S/Lab Phantasm is a featherweight road running shoe built for speed.
So here's an ultralight running shoe (less than 7 oz/200g) with a cutting edge foam—Energy Surge— and a rocker. However, although the Phantasm goes head-to-head with carbon-fiber plate shoes, it doesn't have one. It uses its racing design and responsive foam to deliver a smooth and versatile run that makes it easy to pick up the pace. The testers were very impressed by the shoe's springy bounce and flexible platform. The result may not be as impressive as a carbon plate, but it's not far off. This makes the Phantasm an interesting option for athletes looking for a lightweight running shoe without a plate. Be careful though: the stack height is low, with only 20 mm under the heel and 14 mm under the forefoot. It's not a minimalist shoe, but it's no Hoka either!
If the shoe is so lightweight, it's also thanks to its very thin mesh (so think that you can see through it), pliable and mainly made of TPU. It has little structure despite a few overlays. The lockdown is good but runners note that it can depend on your foot (shape and size). So it's best to try the Phantasm to make sure its free design suits you. Also, note that the shoe fits a bit long. Finally, with its good old Contagrip rubber, the outsole is durable with a good grip on the road.
In short, the Salomon S/Lab Phantasm is not a half-hearted attempt to compete with the finest racing models out there. It means business with a shoe built to go fast, but that's still versatile for everyday training. Fans of the brand will be delighted to finally have a practical and durable elite model in their rotation.
- Good comfort
- Responsive and versatile cushioning
- Sturdy model
- Lightweight shoe
- Unstructured upper that may not be suitable for everyone (besides fitting large)
Model: Salomon S/Lab Phantasm
Best offersback to menu ↑
- Contagrip FA: a sturdy rubber that ensures a secure grip on roads.
- The flex grooves help you to transition more smoothly from heel to toes.
- Energy Surge: a new lightweight foam by Salomon that disperses impacts and maximizes the bounce for a comfortable and fast ride.
- The Salomon S/Lab Phantasm’s upper features an engineered mesh with TPU that comfortably and securely locks down the foot inside the shoe while letting it breathe, especially in the summer.
- The overlays fused to the mesh maximize foot lockdown and the robustness of the upper overtime.