- First of all, there is durable rubber on the outer part of the On Cloudboom’s sole. It offers high abrasion resistance and provides amazing traction on roads even when it rains to prevent falls.
- Then, the special traction pattern of the rubber provides an effective grip and increases the flexibility of the platform to best adapt to the athlete’s movements.
- The midsole features the Helion cushioning technology. It’s a new generation lightweight and naturally bouncy foam launched by On Running in 2020. It offers a good balance between softness and firmness and works in tandem with the Speedboard carbon plate. Helion disperses shocks at the moment of impact while maximizing the energy return for a comfortable and snappy ride.
- This model also features the emblematic technology of the Swiss brand : CloudTec. It consists of pods shaped like alveoli called Clouds. This technology aims to offer a comfortable ride by improving the cushioning of the platform. On the Cloudboom, there are two layers of Clouds: one under the Speedboard plate and one on top.
- Finally, the Speedboard is a carbon plate that strives to maximize the running economy by facilitating a smoother transition from heel to toes. Nike was the first brand to use carbon fiber for its plates but Speedboard is a major technology that the Swiss brand has been using since its beginnings. Cloudboom is the first On model to feature Speedboard in Carbon.
- The On Cloudboom upper translates into an engineered mesh. This is designed to effectively locks-in the foot securely during training for optimal comfort. In addition, it is naturally breathable to ensure good ventilation and prevent the foot from becoming too hot during exercise.
- In addition, the overlays in the forefoot area increase the foot lockdown and the structure of the upper for greater durability of the shoe. Also, these overlays are designed to stabilize the run when taking turns.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How does the On Cloudboom fit?
This road running shoe seems to fit true to size. Indeed, to date, we have not seen any comments from runners indicating that this model may fit too large or too small. Thus, you can select your regular running shoe size. However, if you have the chance, it’s always better to try your shoes on in-store, especially if it’s your first pair from this brand.
Is this shoe suitable for runners with overpronation?
This model is a neutral running shoe. Thus, it aims to be suitable for all athletes independently from their type of pronation. As a result, it does not have stability features to correct the stride and avoid overpronation. However, let’s note here that stability shoes are not more effective than neutral shoes in avoiding injuries. We, therefore, recommend that you choose your shoes according to their comfort, which is the most important criterion.
Is this model suitable for heavy athletes (85 kg/187 lbs or more)?
To our knowledge, only one scientific study so far has observed the relationship between weight, stack height, and risk of injury. According to the conclusions of this study, shoes with a thin sole (minimalist) may increase the risk of injury for athletes with a weight of more than 71 kg/157 lbs. The Cloudboom offers a generous sole thickness and therefore does not fall into this category: it should suit your weight regardless of what it is.
Is it possible to run a marathon or half marathon with this model?
This On Running shoe is perfectly adapted to all types of workouts and distances. With its high-stack and carbon plated midsole, it’s a shoe that’s designed to run fast and long. This makes it a very good option for half marathon and marathon!