Brooks Launch 8
The Brooks Launch 8 is lightweight daily trainer that offers great value for money. Also available in GTS (stability).
Like some of its colleagues (we're looking at you, Glycerin 19), the Launch 8 comes in both neutral and GTS. GTS provides added support on the shoe's platform with GuideRails technology and works to stabilize a runner's stride. Unlike previous models that have offered GTS, the Launch 8 incorporates GuideRails technology seamlessly into the shoe's design. The overall feel is a firm, somewhat dense ride that gets the job done. The standard 8, meanwhile, lends itself to as smooth of a ride as its GTS cousin. The two share many similarities; both are leaning toward a more responsive feel and an uptempo pace. This responsiveness comes from the midsole, engineered with BioMoGo foam, though some runners were less than impressed. One comment focused on the overall stiffness of the shoe, even after a generous break-in period. BioMoGo also lacks pop, making it fairly unremarkable compared to the Brooks Tempo or Elite models' technology.
Also, the upper of the Launch 8 is designed with an air mesh to keep feet cooler. It's worth noting that, with a few exceptions, nearly all trainers have a breathable mesh upper—it pretty much comes with the territory. The toe box is roomy and keeps feet locked in place throughout a run. The outsole is excellent on both the standard and GTS versions, with blown rubber that lasts after miles of use. The overall traction and durability are unparalleled for the caliber and price point of the 8.
In summary, the Launch 8 is ideal for uptempo runners and those seeking a highly durable shoe. Despite some reported stiffness, users didn't have many other complaints; however, the midsole wasn't unanimously successful. Despite its lightweight design, BioMoGo was simply too firm for a comfortable ride. These are also not recommended for runners who expect a snap or "pep" in their step to propel them forward. For an extremely affordable price, given the great Brooks name and the shoe's quality, the Launch 8 delivers. However, if you are expecting something groundbreaking or truly remarkable, you would do well to look elsewhere.
- Good overall comfort
- Effective cushioning despite the firmness
- Affordable shoe
- Sturdy build
- Good support with the GTS version
- Dense cushioning that lacks responsiveness
Model: Brooks Launch 8
- The outsole of the Brooks Launch 8 uses sturdy rubber to give maximum durability and effective traction at all times.
- Blown rubber is a softer compound that allows good flexibility to follow the movement of the foot while running. This feature is especially helpful at the toe off phase of the gait cycle.
- The midsole features the flagship foam from Brooks: BioMoGo DNA. It’s resilient, soft, and made using recycled materials. This technology equips the entire length of the platform.
- Also, on the GTS (for Go To Support), the GuideRails stability feature translates into a firm piece whose goal is to guide your foot’s movement to reduce overpronation.
- The upper of the Brooks Launch 8 is Air Mesh, a lightweight, protective and well-ventilated engineered mesh that gives fitted and comfy foot support.