Little sister of the Asics Gel Kayano 27, the GT 2000 9 offers a lighter configuration to avoid overpronation. The sole is 29 mm thick under the heel with an offset of 10 mm. The cushioning comfortably absorbs shocks, especially with the combination of foam (FlyteFoam) and GEL pads. The technical nature of Asics running shoes is not to everyone's liking with their convoluted configuration. Still, the result is there: testers praise the cushioning for daily training with stability support that does the job, but without being too intrusive. This makes the shoe suitable for (moderate) overpronators and neutral runners alike. Of course, the rebound is mild, to say the least, but this is not the purpose of this shoe, which offers good flexibility otherwise.
The lockdown is also very effective thanks to a well-fitting upper, especially in the midfoot section. The jacquard mesh is dense and thick but offers good ventilation of the foot overall. The only real critique of this shoe, pointed out by several runners, is the thick tongue, which is definitely too long and bulky to be pleasant or practical.
Finally, the carbon rubber (AHAR) that generously covers the outsole is very sturdy and shows no signs of wear and tear even after many runs, according to testers. It's a quality to be appreciated in the age of "rubberized foams," which are softer but much less durable.
All in all, the Asics GT 2000 9 continues to impress as a very good and reliable lightweight support shoe for overpronation. An interesting alternative for those who find the Kayano too restrictive and overbuilt.
- Comfortable cushioning
- Precise foot lockdown
- A stable shoe suitable for everyone
- Lightweight stability model
- The tongue is too thick
- The cushioning is not really responsive
Model: Asics GT 2000 9
Discover the latest release: Asics GT 2000 10
- The outsole of the Asics GT 2000 9 uses AHAR+, a robust carbon rubber made to withstand wear on the roads to enhance the durability of the shoe under the heel. It also offers a good grip for better traction, especially on slippery surfaces.
- AHAR is located under the forefoot and has a foam-like texture for more flexibility.
- The midsole is made of FlyteFoam: a lightweight and energetic compound that absorbs impacts on the road and optimizes the energy return for a more comfortable and lively ride. It’s made with a unique elastomer and superorganic nanofibers to keep it effective even after numerous kilometers.
- Also, GEL are silicon-based units that enhance shock dispersion for plush landings.
- The Dynamic DuoMax stability feature translates into a firm piece of foam to correct the overpronation of the foot while running.
- Guidance Trusstic System is a TPU shank located in the midsole under the arch of the foot that stabilizes the foot to prevent overpronation
- The gender-specific forefoot cushioning is based on data collected by the brand for better fitted cushioning.
- Finally, the molded EVA sockliner adapts to the shape of the foot and adds padding to the shoe.
- The Asics GT 2000 9’s upper features a Twin Layer mesh that comfortably and effectively locks in the foot in the shoe. The mesh is dense but naturally well-ventilated.
- The seamless design increases step-incomfort by reducing chaffing and irritation during your runs. It also gives a stretch quality to the upper.
- The Heel Clutching System is a special heel counter in resin that molds comfortably to the foot to provide a secure lockdown.
- Also, the discrete eyelets enable you to equalize the pressure of the laces around the foot for more comfort.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Does this road running model fit true to size?
I overpronate. Is the Asics GT 2000 9 good for me?
I weigh 198 lbs/90 kg or more. Is this shoe good for me?
Is the Asics GT 2000 9 adapted to run a marathon?
Comparisons – Asics GT 2000 9 vs:
Asics Gel Kayano 28
These two flagship stability running shoes have been designed to complement each other. The Kayano offers more support for runners who heavily overpronate, while the GT 2000 9 is lighter and doesn’t correct the foot motion to the same extent. See the side-by-side comparison.
Asics GT 1000 10
See the side-by-side comparison.