First of all, Asics has made few changes to its bestseller. The Nimbus 23 retains the very successful upper from the 22 version with a few improvements, such as a thicker, more comfortable tongue to lock-in the foot. The lockdown is comfortable and can be forgotten, which in the end is the most important thing. The toe box has a moderate size and should fit most runners.
Cushioning provides an unvarnished but very satisfying ride for daily training and long distances. The combination of foam and Gel pads gives good shock dispersion. The underfoot feel is relatively soft with a touch of firmness. An interesting point unanimously noted by the testers is the platform's flexibility, especially thanks to the deep flex grooves. The shoe offers a slight rebound but nothing spectacular. Finally, let's note that although the Nimbus is a neutral running shoe, it slightly stabilizes the foot's movement, which can reassure runners who like to have some structure in their shoes.
The outsole is based on previous models' winning formula (also present on many of the brand's models): AHAR+ under the heel and AHAR under the forefoot. This carbon rubber is undoubtedly one of the elements that contribute to the shoe's high weight (309 g/10.9 oz), but it has the advantage of making the shoe very durable for long workouts.
In summary, the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 remains true to itself with a traditional, tried-and-tested configuration. It's an interesting choice to have in rotation with other lighter and snappier models. However, all truth be told, if you've never worn a Nimbus in your life, there's little reason to start.
- Sturdy shoe
- Good shock absorption
- Comfortable upper
- Flexible and stable platform
- Cushioning that lacks some bounce to be suitable for speedwork
Model: Asics Gel Nimbus 23
- The outsole of the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 is equipped with sturdy rubber to improve the durability of the shoe. Also, it’s naturally grippy to stay stable at all times.
- The FlyteFoam midsole uses a lightweight and bouncy foam compound that absorbs shocks on the road and optimizes the energy return for a comfortable and peppy ride. It combines a unique elastomer to super organic nanofibers to be more robust and last hundreds of kilometers.
- Also, the FlyteFoam Propel is a variant of FlyteFoam that’s even lighter and softer.
- GEL is an Asics flagship technology that consists of a silicon-based unit. It that optimizes shock dispersion for plush landings.
- 3D Space Construction translates into geometric patterns in the midsole for enhanced stability while running.
- The Asics Gel Nimbus 23’s upper is an engineered mesh that promotes a secure and comfortable foot lockdown while offering good airflow.
- It uses some recycled materials to make the shoe more sustainable by reducing its carbon footprint.
- The reflective materials provide a 360 degree visibility so that runners can stay safe from traffic at all time while running.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Does the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 fit true to size?
Yes, this model sizes correctly, i.e., neither too big nor too small. Also, the toe box is spacious enough to fit most morphologies.
I have overpronation. Is the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 recommended for me?
Yes, this shoe should be adapted to most people. Indeed, it’s a neutral running shoe. Therefore, it’s designed to suit all athletes independently from their pronation type. If you are hesitating between neutral and stability shoes, please note that no empirical data support that the latter is a better choice to prevent injury.
I weigh 198 lbs/90 kg or more. Is the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 good for me?
Is the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 suitable to run a marathon?
This Asics road shoe is suitable for different types of distances and training. In addition, it’s a robust shoe built for long-distance running. However, it’s not a shoe designed with speed in mind: even if it allows a good ride, there’s little rebound and it’s a rather heavy shoe.
Comparisons – Asics Gel Nimbus 23 vs:
Asics Gel Nimbus 22
As we explained in the analysis, there’s very little change between the Nimbus 22 and 23. The weight remains similar even if the stack heigh loses a few millimeters, especially in the men’s model. If your N22s are still in good condition, then there’s no hurry to grab a pair of N23.
Asics Gel Kayano 27
See the detailed comparison.