Asics Gel Cumulus 23
The sole still has a moderate stack height with 23 mm under the heel (22 mm for women) and a heel-to-toe drop of 10 mm (compared to 9 mm previously). The testers noted that cushioning continues to provide ideal shock absorption with the FlyteFoam and GEL unit. This new Cumulus introduces the 3D Space Construction gender-specific design (inherited from the Lite line) to give a smoother ride that's also softer on the women version. The result is convincing, according to the testers. Overall, the Cumulus offers a nice ride, not really springy, but not dull either. The midsole density is moderate, so it's a good option for runners who like cushioning that's not too firm or too soft (or for beginners who aren't yet sure what their preference is).
The upper is simple and effective with a relatively thick engineered mesh that gives a precise and comfortable foot lockdown. Finally, as on most Asics models, the outsole features a lot of rubber for good durability.
To summarize, the Asics Gel Nimbus 23 should continue to delight the collection's fans. It's a good option for daily training at slow to moderate paces. Its weight is the main disadvantage with 10.2 oz/289 g (M), which limits its responsiveness and potential for speed.
- Great comfort
- Simple yet effective mesh upper
- Sturdy shoe
- Good shock absorption
- Smooth ride
- The forefoot is a little too soft, according to some runners
Model: Asics Gel Cumulus 23
- The resistant rubber ensures impressive traction on urban terrains. It’s firmer under the heel and softer under the forefoot.
- The midsole uses FlyteFoam: a lightweight and energetic foam compound that protects from shocks on the road and enhances the energy return for a more comfortable and snappier run. It’s made with a unique elastomer and super organic nanofibers to make it more robust.
- 3D Space Construction is a structure that increases stability while running. It consists of geometric patterns in the midsole. Also, it’s a gender-specific feature that translates into softer cushioning for women
- GEL: this Asics signature technology is a silicon-based unit that disperses shocks for plush landings.
- The upper of the Asics Gel Cumulus 23 features an engineered mesh that offers a comfortable and secure foot lockdown while letting the foot breathe when you pick up the pace.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Does this road running model fit true to size?
I have overpronation. Are these shoes adapted for me??
Is this a shoe for heavyweight athletes?
Is this model a good choice to run a marathon?
Comparisons – Asics Gel Cumulus 23 vs:
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37
The Pegasus has a thicker sole, although the ride is firmer, according to the testers. With 0.7 oz/20 g less weight, it’s clearly lighter than the Nimbus. However, the outsole of the Nimbus has more rubber, which can make it more durable. For the rest, it’s a matter of personal preference.
Asics Gel Nimbus 23
See the side-by-side comparison.