Asics Gel Contend 7
The Asics Gel Contend 7 is a good running shoe with amazing value for money.
Best deal at: Zappos.comBuy at the lowest price
Asics Gel Contend 7
Good, efficient, and affordable running shoesIn the age of "super shoes" with carbon plate at over $200, it's good to see a simple, effective and affordable model like the Asics Gel Contend 7.
At less than $70, the Contend is an entry-level shoe that leverages the Japanese brand's know-how with a more basic configuration. Thus, the sole combines rubber for sturdiness and grip and AmpliFoam for comfortable cushioning. The heel even features a GEL unit for softer foot landings. According to testers, the comfort is there and doesn't pale in comparison to more expensive models.
Of course, not everything is perfect at this price: the rubber is basic, and a bit noisy, the upper can cause rubbing, and the cushioning is a bit stiff. Nevertheless, overall, the value for money is good. The best thing is to see the Contend as a complementary shoe to alternate with your regular shoes and get your feet used to a different configuration.
All in all, the Asics Gel Contend 7 is a good running shoe with unbeatable value for money that's worth considering for your daily runs.
Value for money
- Good overall comfort
- Durable shoe for the price
- Enough space for the toes
- Low price
- Cushioning is a little stiff
- The upper can cause chaffing
Model: Asics Gel Contend 7
- The sturdy rubber of the outsole offers great traction on roads and protects the midsole from wear.
- The flex grooves provide quicker back to front transitions by enabling greater flexibility.
- The AmpliFoam midsole absorbs shocks and improves the bounce for a more comfortable and energetic ride.
- Guidance Line is a special flex groove that allows the shoe to bend and go along to the movement of the athlete’s foot for a springier run.
- Rearfoot GEL: a silicon-based cushioning piece inserted under the heel that dampens shocks when the foot touches the ground.
- The upper of the Asics Gel Contend 7 features an engineered mesh that comfortably keeps the foot secure inside the shoe while providing a good air circulation, especially when the running gets tough.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is the Asics Gel Contend 7 true to size?
Yes, the fit is true to size. Until now, we haven’t seen notes from runners indicating that this shoe fits large or narrow. Therefore, you can order your regular size for running shoes.
Is this shoe recommended if I have overpronation?
Yes, this model should be suitable for everyone. Indeed, it’s a neutral running shoe. As a result, it aims to suit all athletes independently from their pronation type. It doesn’t offer stability props to guide the movement and decrease overpronation. Nonetheless, let’s note that there’s no evidence that stability running models are more effective than neutral shoes to prevent injury.
I'm a heavyweight runner (more than 198 lbs/90 kg. Is the Asics Gel Contend 7 good for me?
Yes, this model should typically be adapted regardless of your weight. Indeed, The Asics Gel Contend 7 has a medium stack height, which is enough to support most people, so you can use it even if you’re heavyweight.
Is this shoe adapted to run a marathon?
The Contend 7 is an entry-level shoe, and while it performs well overall, longer distances like half-marathons and marathons may magnify its shortcomings. Therefore, we advise you to use them for your training and opt for a more premium model for your race. However, there are no official contraindications. If you find it comfortable, then there should be no concerns!
1 review for Asics Gel Contend 7
4.0 out of 5
Write a review