Altra Escalante 2
Good zero drop road shoe with light cushioningThe Altra Escalante 2 is a zero drop road shoe with a limited cushioning. Indeed, it has a relatively thin sole (19 mm) and no drop between the heel and the toes. Altra's goal is to create shoes that respect the anatomy of the foot and the human body in general as much as possible. The Escalante 2 fulfils this role well by offering an excellent feeling under the foot for running sensations close to minimalism. The previous model had received some criticism for its flexibility, which kept the foot a bit loosely. It seems that Altra has addressed this point as the support is now stricter, which may or may not be to the liking of every runner. According to athletes who have tested the Escalante 2, it is a fairly firm road shoe overall. On the other hand, it is worth noting that the shoe has gained weight (40 grams more) while reducing the cushioning (4 mm less sole thickness) which is a bit surprising and disappointing. To summarize, the Altra Escalante 2 is a good road shoe but this new version reveals some important changes that might not please fans of the previous model.
Value for money
- Good comfort
- Responsive cushioning with good ground feeling
- Improved foot support
- Nice, simple and efficient design
- Heavier compared to the previous model despite a thinner sole
- Platform a bit too rigid according to some runners
back to menu ↑
- The outsole of the Altra Escalante 2 uses the FootPod Outsole technology. It is designed to follow the natural shape of the foot for more comfort and flexibility while running. It gives maximum freedom of movement for a better transition from heel to toes. In addition, it offers effective traction on urban surfaces.
- The midsole features the Altra Ego cushioning technology. This material promises comfortable and responsive underfoot support by maximizing the energy return. Its aim is to offer lively running sensations to have fun during your training sessions. Altra Ego is also robust to withstand the wear and tear of kilometers.
- Then, the Inner Flex technology consists in a set of flex grooves that should improve the platform’s flexibility so as not to hinder foot movement. This is a new addition to the previous model.
- Finally, the FOOTSHAPE design works hand in hand with FootPod to fit the foot as naturally as possible to offer exceptional comfort while respecting the foot’s anatomy.
- The Altra Escalante 2 uses a knitted mesh as upper. Its sock-like design comfortably envelops the foot while providing adequate ventilation during the effort.
- In addition, the Dri-Lex Dri-Freeze Heel Liner promises to control the temperature inside the shoe to keep the foot cool during training.
- The Decoupled Heel design at the heel and the PFS Performance Last configuration should provide a comfortable fit for a softer foot support.
- Finally, the polyurethane (PU) insole completes the comfort and cushioning of the shoe. It aims to achieve the right balance between flexibility and firmness for optimal support of the arch of the foot.
1 review for Altra Escalante 2
4.0 out of 5
Write a review