Adidas SolarBoost 3
The Adidas SolarBoost 3 is a good road running shoe with high-stack stable cushioning for daily runs.
Like its colleague, the UltraBoost, the SolarBoost is heavy, with over 10.6 oz/300 g on the scale. Its three-piece midsole can explain this: Boost (of course) for cushioning, Control Rail for stability, and Linear Energy Push (LEP) for propulsion. The stack height is high with 32 mm under the heel and 22 mm under the forefoot. The result is medium density cushioning. Its main advantage is to absorb shocks and to be stable. For the rest, the feel is not very responsive. It's a pity because, according to the testers, the cushioning is rather unimpressive at low speed. You have to increase the pace to start enjoying the ride, but at the same time, with its weight, the SolarBoost is not a shoe for tempo runs either.
The upper offers an effective lockdown but is a bit stiff. Ventilation is good, and overlays and reinforcements enhance the engineered mesh structure. Finally, the Stretchweb Continental outsole is sturdy and provides good grip: you'll even be able to stray onto easy dirt roads.
In short, the Adidas SolarBoost is a shoe for athletes looking for adequate cushioning that's neither too soft nor too firm and stable. The shoe doesn't exactly shine, but at the same time, it doesn't disappoint either, and its durability helps justify its somewhat high price tag.
- Good overall comfort
- Sturdy shoe
- Stable cushioning that disperses impacts well
- Good grip
- The Upper is a bit stiff
- Cushioning lacks responsiveness
Model: Adidas SolarBoost 3
- Stretchweb Continental: sturdy rubber with traction nodes to ensure good grip on the road.
- The midsole uses Boost. This flagship cushioning technology of the German brand consists of thousands of TPU pellets merged together to support the foot and to improve the energy return.
- Linear Energy Push is a torsion system that enhances the structure of the shoe to optimize rebound. Adidas claims that this configuration increases rigidity by 15% under the toes for a smoother toe-off.
- Control Rail guides your foot for a smooth and more natural movement.
- The Adidas SolarBoost 3’s upper features an engineered mesh that comfortably keeps the foot secure inside the shoe while letting it breathe, especially when you go faster.
- The heel counter molds comfortably to the foot to offer a safe lockdown.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Is this running model true to size?
I overpronate. Are these shoes suitable for me??
I'm a heavyweight athlete. Can I run in these shoes?
Is the Adidas SolarBoost 3 a good choice to run a marathon?
Comparisons – Adidas SolarBoost 3 vs:
Adidas UltraBoost 21
See the side-by-side comparison.